As a sports hub, Las Vegas hosts a variety of sporting events throughout the year.
Winter Sports Activities
The following are some of the sporting events that could be typically scheduled during the winter months in Las Vegas. Please check the most recent schedules for up-to-date information as events can change or be canceled.
- National Finals Rodeo (NFR Las Vegas): This is a major rodeo event that typically takes place in early December at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas.
- Vegas Golden Knights NHL Games: Las Vegas’ professional hockey team, the Vegas Golden Knights, will usually have games scheduled throughout the winter as part of the NHL season. Games are held at the T-Mobile Arena.
- UFC and Boxing Matches: Las Vegas is the headquarters of the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), and fights often take place at the T-Mobile Arena or UFC’s own APEX facility during the winter. Big boxing and UFC events are often scheduled at the MGM Grand Garden Arena and the T-Mobile Arena.
- Boxing Matches: Las Vegas is a hub for major professional boxing matches, many of which are held in the winter at venues like the MGM Grand Garden Arena.
- Las Vegas Bowl: The Las Vegas Bowl is a college football bowl game. As of my last update, this game moved to the newly constructed Allegiant Stadium and usually takes place in December.
- Vegas Races: The Las Vegas Motor Speedway is open year-round and sometimes hosts races in the cooler winter months.
- Professional Bull Riders (PBR) World Finals: This event often takes place in November, so it’s at the beginning edge of what might be considered winter.
- Basketball Games: The UNLV Runnin’ Rebels, Las Vegas’ college basketball team, will play throughout the winter.
- MLS Soccer Matches: Las Vegas Lights FC, the city’s professional soccer team in the USL Western Conference Finals, may have games scheduled in early spring, depending on the league’s schedule.
- PGA Golf Tour Events: Las Vegas typically hosts PGA Tour events in the fall, and occasionally there might be some events that extend into the early winter.
- NFL Football: The Las Vegas Raiders’ season would typically be going on, although by January it would be in the playoff stages, so whether or not games are taking place would depend on the team’s performance that season.
- NBA G-League Basketball: The Las Vegas Silver Bandits, the city’s G-League team, typically have games during this period.
- Marathons: Las Vegas also hosts marathons and other running events, which can sometimes take place in January.
- Golf Tournaments: Las Vegas hosts several golf tournaments throughout the year due to its climate, and some of these may take place in January.
- Esports: Las Vegas has become a hub for esports and there might be tournaments happening in January.
Spring Sports Activities
Here are some events that have traditionally been held in Las Vegas during the spring:
- UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship) Events: Las Vegas is home to the UFC, and various events including major fights are often scheduled in the spring.
- National Basketball Association (NBA) Summer League: Although it’s titled “Summer League,” this event often starts in the late spring. This is where the NBA’s newest rookies and young players showcase their skills.
- NCAA Basketball Conference Tournaments: Multiple college basketball conferences traditionally hold their year-end tournaments in Las Vegas in March.
- Major League Rugby: Las Vegas has occasionally hosted Major League Rugby events in the past during the spring season.
- Vegas Golden Knights NHL games: The NHL season runs from October into April, and so there are often home games for the Vegas Golden Knights in the spring.
- Las Vegas Motor Speedway Events: Various auto racing events are hosted at the Speedway, including NASCAR races which are usually scheduled for the spring.
- PGA Golf Tournaments: While most of the PGA Tour events in Las Vegas have historically been held in the fall, other smaller golf events often occur in the spring.
- Professional Bull Riders (PBR) events: Las Vegas has frequently been a host city for these events.
- USA Sevens Rugby: This is an annual rugby sevens tournament held in Las Vegas, typically in March.
Summer Sports Activities
During the summer months, Las Vegas continues to host a variety of exciting sports events:
- Major League Baseball (Las Vegas Aviators): The Las Vegas Aviators, a minor league baseball team affiliated with the Oakland Athletics, play their home games at Las Vegas Ballpark throughout the summer.
- NBA Summer League: This event showcases NBA rookies, younger players, and unsigned free agents. It usually takes place in July or August.
- UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship) Events: As the home of UFC, Las Vegas regularly hosts matches throughout the year, including the summer months.
- Professional Bull Riders (PBR) Events: Las Vegas often hosts these exciting events during the summer.
- Boxing Matches: Las Vegas is known for hosting high-profile boxing matches, and while these can happen throughout the year, some may take place during the summer.
- WNBA (Las Vegas Aces): The Women’s National Basketball Association’s Las Vegas Aces usually have games throughout the summer.
- Las Vegas Motor Speedway Events: Various auto racing events, including drag racing and NASCAR-related activities, take place at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway during the summer.
- Vegas Golden Knights NHL Development Camp/Preseason: While the regular NHL season doesn’t start until the fall, the team often holds its development camp and preseason games in the late summer.
- Esports Events: Las Vegas has become a hub for Esports, and numerous events are scheduled throughout the year, some of which may fall in the summer.
Autumn sports events
Here are some sporting events that often take place in Las Vegas during the fall:
- National Football League (NFL) games (Las Vegas Raiders): The Las Vegas Raiders play their home games at Allegiant Stadium from September through December, and possibly into January if they make the playoffs.
- National Hockey League (NHL) games (Vegas Golden Knights): The Vegas Golden Knights typically begin their regular season in October and play home games at the T-Mobile Arena.
- UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship) Events: As the home of the UFC, Las Vegas hosts fights throughout the year, including during the fall.
- NASCAR Events: The Las Vegas Motor Speedway typically hosts NASCAR races in the fall.
- PGA Golf Tournaments: The PGA Tour holds the Shriners Hospitals for Children Open at TPC Summerlin in Las Vegas in the fall.
- Major League Soccer (MLS) games (Las Vegas Lights FC): If the MLS schedule is similar to previous years, the Lights FC may have games scheduled into the early fall.
- Professional Bull Riders (PBR) World Finals: This event typically takes place in Las Vegas in November.
- Boxing Matches: Las Vegas is a famous venue for high-profile boxing matches, and while these can happen throughout the year, some big matches may be scheduled in the fall.
- National Finals Rodeo: This rodeo event takes place in Las Vegas every December.
- Esports Events: Las Vegas has increasingly become a hub for major Esports competitions, and these can occur in the fall as well.
Don’t miss the chance to see your favorite teams and events this season, get your sports tickets in advance.